Monday, August 3, 2009

The Fascinating Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Daughter, a Writer

Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the Little House on the Prairie series, wasn't nearly as interesting as her author daughter, Rose Wilder Lane. In a New Yorker article, Art Critic Judith Thurman writes of Lane:

She had lived among bohemians in Paris and Greenwich Village, Soviet peasants and revolutionaries, intellectuals in Weimar Berlin, survivors of the massacres in Armenia, Albanian rebels, and camel-drivers on the road to Baghdad.


How's that for a nice taste? If you don't want to read the whole article, Kate Harding wrote a good summary of the New Yorker article on Salon.com's Broadsheet, which is where this first caught my attention.

For me, this is especially fascinating because I loved the Little House series when I was a kid. In 5th grade, I wrote a 500 word essay on Laura Ingalls Wilder. (500 words! I thought it was going to kill me!) My life has come full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment